What will boost your home’s value? You want to add a sunroom but will that bring in the biggest bang for your buck? How about a new bathroom? It’s a common question that many homeowners ask. What will we get back when we sell? This can be a hard question to answer but luckily Bankrate.com and Remodeling Magazine has come up with a list of the worst home fixes for the money.
Here are the six improvements that ranked dead last nationally when it comes to getting those renovation dollars back at resale.
1. A Home Office-The standard home office renovation is this year’s biggest loser in the resale value sweepstakes. Nationally, homeowners spent an average of $28,888 and can expect to recoup about 45.8 percent at resale, according to the report. If you want to enjoy a home office opt for something that is easily converted back into a bedroom or den.
2. Backup Generators-This only usually brings about negative thoughts like does this home loose power often? On average, when homeowners have a heavy-duty backup power generator installed, they spend about $14,718, according to the report. The average amount of the price recovered at resale time: 48.5 percent.
3. A Sunroom-While the thought is sitting and enjoying a sunroom may sound lovely to you but the addition of a sunroom is often more than you can recoup. The national average for a sunroom addition is $75,224, according to the report. Homeowners can expect to recoup about 48.6 percent when they sell.
4. A Master Suite-It is the price tag of this addition that can also leave sellers in the red. For a super-deluxe master suite addition — which adds square footage and uses only top-dollar materials — the average cost is about $232,062, according to the report. Sellers can expect to recover about 52.7 percent at resale.
5. An Extra Bathroom-Wait kitchens and bathrooms sells houses or that’s what people say. Bathroom additions are very expensive. For a moderately outfitted addition with synthetic stone or plastic laminate surfaces, plan on the cost about $21,695, according to the Remodeling report. Go upscale, with finishes like premium marble or fine tile, and you can easily spend in the neighborhood of $40,710. You can plan on a return of about 53 cents on the dollar.
Look for less-expensive way to get the same results. Try reconfiguring your existing space to add a bathroom for less.
6. A Dream Garage-The price tag for a top-of-the-line detached two-car with all the trimmings is about $90,053, according to the report. This is a garage that is completely top-of-the-line. You can expect to recover about 53.6 percent of that when you sell. Instead go for function over form and stick the basic garage if you plan on a garage project.
This Condo in Chicopee, MA recently sold for $57,000.
This is a Townhouse style home and features 4 total rooms, 1 full bath, 1 half bath, 2 bedrooms, and was sold by
Karen King Group – RE/MAX Prestige
This Single-Family in Palmer, MA recently sold for $195,000.
This is a Colonial/Contemporary style home and features 5 total rooms, 2 full baths, 1 half bath, 3 bedrooms, 0.43 acres, and was sold by
Karen King Group – RE/MAX Prestige
Featured Property Slideshow
Wilbraham ListingsWilbraham, MA - $319,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:28 hours agoWilbraham, MA - $49,900 - Land - Acres:2.4610 hours agoWilbraham, MA - $248,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Wilbraham, MA - $289,900 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2
Monson ListingsMonson, MA - $44,900 - Mobile Home - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoMonson, MA - $179,500 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:21 hour agoMonson, MA - $264,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoMonson, MA - $294,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:2
Palmer ListingsPalmer, MA - $1,600 - Commercial - Year Built:1900 - Acres:01 hour agoPalmer, MA - $550 - Commercial - Year Built:1900 - Acres:01 hour agoPalmer, MA - $1,100 - Commercial - Year Built:1800 - Acres:01 hour agoPalmer, MA - $319,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Log - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours ago
- Wilbraham police: Highmoor Drive raid uncovers marijuana growing... June 18, 2013WILBRAHAM - Police, raiding a Highmoor Drive home Tuesday morning, said they uncovered a marijuana growing operation and arrested a man and a woman. […]
- Benjamin M. Brewer June 18, 2013Benjamin Mallory Brewer passed away quietly on May 16, 2013. He was the devoted husband of Beverly Ann Brewer for 55 years. […]
- Original Wilbraham charter to be put on display at Old Meeting House June 14, 2013WILBRAHAM - The original Wilbraham town charter will be on display at the Atheneum Society of Wilbraham, the old Meeting House, at 450 Main St. Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. as part of the ongoing celebration of Wilbraham's 250th anniversary as a town. […]
- Hampden-Wilbraham Regional School District plans to reduce 12 elementary teaching positions June 14, 2013WILBRAHAM - A total of 12 elementary positions in the Hampden-Wilbraham Regional School District are slated to be reduced to 80 percent positions so the district can live within its budget constraints, Hampden-Wilbraham Regional School Superintendent Martin O'Shea said in a letter to parents. […]
- Wilbraham police: Highmoor Drive raid uncovers marijuana growing... June 18, 2013
- Virginia Midyette named Monson Rotary Club citizen of the year June 18, 2013Virginia C. Midyette, 92, has been chosen as the Monson Rotary Club's Citizen of the Year. […]
- Palmer firefighters respond to fire call at home of one of their own June 8, 2013This is the home of Palmer Fire Lt. Todd Warren, where there was a fire on Thursday night. […]
- Westfield High School Principal Raymond Broderick to retire at end of month June 6, 2013WESTFIELD - The mementos, degrees and awards in Raymond K. Broderick 's office are a testament to 34 years as an educator and administrator, the last nine of which have been spent as principal at Westfield High School . […]
- Monson Selectman Richard Smith facing 2 challengers for town seat June 6, 2013Jeanne A. Bailey, of 15 Ely Road, and Charles P. Cournoyer, of 172 Silver St., also are seeking the three-year term. […]
- Virginia Midyette named Monson Rotary Club citizen of the year June 18, 2013
- Vermont task force charges 4 on drug charges June 16, 2013The Vermont Drug Task Force Police says the four were arrested Friday in connection with the June 6 seizure of 540 bags of heroin police say were being brought from southern New England to Vermont to be distributed. […]
- Palmer's Main Street to be closed to allow for filming of independent film June 14, 2013PALMER - Main Street in Palmer, between Thorndike and Central streets, will be closed to through traffic from 6 p.m. on Sunday until 5:30 a.m. on Monday, to allow for the filming of an independent film. […]
- Citizens Against Casino Gaming asks Massachusetts Gaming Commission... June 14, 2013SPRINGFIELD - Citizens Against Casino Gaming is requesting that the Massachusetts Gaming Commission investigate a potential conflict of interest involving Palmer Water District No. […]
- Mohegan Sun announces additional dates for its job and vendor series... June 13, 2013PALMER - Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will hold three more"Working at and Working with Mohegan Sun" sessions in the coming weeks in Chicopee, Holyoke and Sturbridge. […]
- Vermont task force charges 4 on drug charges June 16, 2013